Opposites attract. Believe it or not, this can also be true when choosing art for your home. Modern art can look fantastic in a traditional home. The key is to carefully place the artwork, making the juxtaposition of styles look intentional and well-considered. Here are some excellent examples to inspire you:
1. A painting by Joseph Albers hangs above the mantle in a dining room. I love the pop of color. Albers was a famous colorist and once taught at North Carolina’s Black Mountain College.
2. A painting by Joan Mitchell, one of my favorite artists, hangs above the couch in a room designed by Peter Marino.
3. In this example, a painting by Fernand Leger hangs in a traditional room.
4. Here’s a great example, which was taken from the set of the movie Meet Joe Black – a beautiful Marc Rothko painiting hangs on a paneled wall. Somehow, it works beautifully!
5. And finally, a cozy scene from a house with a giant canvas on the wall (by Egon Schiele?).
Where can you see modern art in your home?
image 1: Apartment Therapy
image 2, 3: Architectural Digest
image 4: Sweet Sunday Mornings
image 5: Traditional Home