The 4th Annual Green Home Tour presented by Stock Building Supply is running May 2nd 10am-6pm and May 3rd noon-6pm across 6 counties in the Triangle area. Design Lines provided the interior design services for the entry by Rufty Homes. This house is worth checking out!
Molly Simmons, ASID of Design Lines was part of the team Rufty Homes, Inc. put together who designed and built a home that was not only beautiful for the client but also one that was environmentally friendly. The green approach is documented in a set of guidelines put out by the Green Home Builders of the Triangle Green Building Initiative.
The green design included a selection of the following:
• Kitchen counter tops came from recycled glass- Rockin ‘teriors
• Cabinetry met green specifications- used with no formaldehydes
• Solar panels are used to heat the water
• Carpet was made using recycled material
• Water based floor stain instead of chemical based was used
• Hardwood floors were sourced locally to cut down on energy expense of transportation
• Energy Star appliances and windows
• Sprayed foam insulation to increase thermal envelope effectiveness
• Siding with EPA approved borates
(Visit the house to see a complete listing of the green features.)
Being green does not have to be tiring, time consuming or an after thought; but rather should be efficient, beautiful and best of all environmentally sound.